September 1, 2014
RENO, Nev. (AP) - Investigators say a fire at a Reno apartment that killed a 78-year-old woman may have been sparked by a cigarette.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports neighbors were trying to put out the fire with extinguishers when firefighters arrived at the scene around 5:30 a.m. Sunday.
Battalion Chief Rik Kajans says the woman was flown to the burn center at UC Davis Medical Center where she died.
He adds that the apartment complex manager was taken to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.