Carbon Monoxide Detected at NY Mall, 1 Dead

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. (AP) - Police say a 55-year-old restaurant manager has died and more than two dozen others were taken to hospitals after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a restaurant at a New York mall.

A Suffolk County police spokesman identified the man who died Saturday as Steven Nelson, a restaurant manager at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island. The restaurant is located in a detached building that is part of the mall.

Police said 27 others affected by carbon monoxide were taken to area hospitals. They said four ambulance personnel and three officers were among those overcome by carbon monoxide at the complex, which is about 35 miles east of New York City.

Police Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick said the leak appeared to originate with the heating system.

Several restaurants at the mall were evacuated as a precaution.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 246772711 - kolotv.com/a?a=246772711
Gray Television, Inc.