September 16, 2014
RENO, Nev. (AP) - NV Energy officials have identified the cause of a power outage that affected 1,350 customers Sunday morning around the Sparks industrial area: a bird.
Company spokeswoman Faye Andersen said Sunday evening a bird got into equipment at a substation and triggered the outage.
She says it's a "fairly uncommon" occurrence because the company tries to "animal-proof" the substations.
Company officials earlier thought a squirrel might have caused the outage.
The outage began around 8:15 a.m. and lasted until 9:35 a.m.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.