Body Of Missing Nevada Miner Recovered, Identified

Rescue crews have recovered the body of miner killed during a cave-in at an underground Nevada gold mine a 36-year-old, married, father of three.

Curtis Johnson had worked at the Getchell Mine east of Winnemucca since 2003.

Crews had been searching for Johnson since before dawn the previous day, when the ground gave way at the Getchell Mine east of
Winnemucca.

A spokesman for the Mine Safety and Health Administration says his body was recovered around noon today (Wednesday).

Johnson was operating a bolter, a large piece of equipment used to drill bolts into the hard rock, when the accident occurred around 2 a.m. Tuesday.

The Getchell Mine is a joint venture owned by Toronto-based Barrick Gold Corp. and Denver-based Newmont Mining Corp.

It is operated by Small Mining Development LLC, or SMD, an independent
contractor based in Boise, Idaho.

SMD President Ron Guill said in a statement late today that words cannot express the sense of loss the company feels.

He said Johnson was an outstanding person and an excellent underground miner.

It is the second fatal mining accident in Nevada in as many months.

In June, 30-year-old Dan Shaw was killed when the ground gave way as he was working on a loader at Newmont's Midas mine, another underground gold mine also near Winnemucca.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 9499697 - kolotv.com/a?a=9499697
Gray Television, Inc.