A Sparks fire captain and a Reno nurse are jailed in California on charges that the woman's 2-year-old daughter ingested the drug ecstasy while in their care, authorities said.
Mark Rumble, 46, and Shannon Leasure, 30, were booked Tuesday
night into the Big Bear Jail near the Lake Arrowhead, Calif., resort community on suspicion of felony child cruelty. They were being held on $500,000 bail, authorities said.
Sgt. Rick Ells with the San Bernardino sheriff's office said the couple called 911 on Tuesday afternoon and said they believed their child had been poisoned.
Dispatchers suspected they were under the influence of drugs and
asked deputies to respond, Ells said.
He said the child was hallucinating and suffering from seizures in the vacation rental where they were staying.
Deputies believe the child accidentally ate some of the couple's supply of ecstasy, which was found in the home.
The little girl was flown to a hospital in Loma Linda, Calif.
Her father, Adrian Leasure, told the Reno Gazette-Journal she is in good condition, talking and smiling.
A Reno firefighter, Andrian Leasure said there's no indication the child will suffer permanent damage.
"It just breaks my heart," he said.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)