November 25, 2014
A fire started by teenagers playing with fireworks on a dry hillside destroyed three homes on the north side of Reno Tuesday night, but scores of firefighters quickly snuffed out the blaze and no one was hurt, fire officials said.
Three houses were lost, a fourth was heavily damaged and a fifth slightly damaged after the fire was reported at 6:07 p.m. in a residential neighborhood north of McCarran Boulevard near U.S. Highway 395, Reno Fire Division Chief Larry Farr said.
Two boys in their early teens promptly admitted to investigators their role in the fire, Farr said.
"The cause of the fire was juveniles playing with fireworks. We talked to the kids and they fessed up," he told The Associated Press.
Fire investigators will discuss the case with local prosecutors, but the boys remained in the custody of their parents Tuesday night, Farr said.
More than 50 firefighters responded to the blaze, which engulfed the first home within minutes while engines were enroute, he said.
"It wasn't like it was a wildland fire. It started on the slope of a hill" off Clear Acre Lane a few miles north of downtown Reno, Farr said.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.