Stalking Suspect Had Prior Conviction

By  | 

A man charged with stalking a Reno doctor had been treated for mental illness and was described by a victim in a previous case as his family's "personal terrorist," authorities said.

Stanislaw Lisiak, 62, admitted to stalking the local vascular surgeon by delivering packages to his office containing dead animals, feces and threatening notes, police said.

Lisiak was arrested Tuesday on three counts of suspicion of stalking, a day after police released a photograph of him taken by a video surveillance camera outside the doctor's office.

When officers arrested him, they found a dead bird in his car, police said, adding that Lisiak had planned to deliver a fifth package Friday.

Lisiak told detectives his dead fiancee told him in a dream that the doctor had placed a curse on her and he needed to deliver five packages of dead animals to his office to lift the spell.

Lt. Ron Holladay said Lisiak told detectives the doctor had treated his fiancee for an ulcer in San Francisco in the late 1990s. He claimed the woman died of a hemorrhage because the doctor refused to further treat the indigent woman.

"We've disproved that because the doctor never even practiced there," Holladay told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Lisiak was convicted last year of two counts of stalking a Reno man, his wife and two children, with whom he was acquainted.

During his sentencing, the father said Lisiak began stalking the family with hang-up phone calls that escalated to heavy breathing and later, to "awful screams and animal imitations."

The family was granted a protection order, which Lisiak violated, according to court records. He was placed on house arrest in July 2002 for the violation.

Once, Lisiak visited the school of the man's daughter and asked the principal details about the girl, the father said.

"Stanley was becoming our family's personal terrorist," the man said in his statement to the court. "We felt we were being hunted."

Lisiak denied stalking the family and said he was falsely accused, according to court records. He told the judge he pleaded guilty to "get rid of the case."

He was sentenced to time served and placed on a maximum three years probation, according to court records. Under terms of his probation, he was ordered to complete mental health counseling and take prescribed drugs.

Lisiak said the medications made him ill and didn't like to take them, court records show.