August 28, 2014
The search is underway for a missing miner near Winnemucca.
Mary Korpi, a spokesperson for Newmont Mining Corporation, says the man went missing after an accident at the mine around 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday. Korpi says the man was operating a loader several hundred feet underground, when the ground gave way and the miner plunged 100 feet. She says 27 other employees evacuated the mine, and operations were suspended.
Korpi says the area where the man may be can not be safely crawled to. However, she says video equipment was used to locate the man's loader. She says so far 500 to 600 tons of rock have been removed from the collapse area. Korpi says there is typically a constant air flow through the mine. She added crews of about 15 are working in shifts underground in the effort to save the man.
Newmont is not releasing the miner's name at this time.
KOLO 8 NEWS WILL HAVE THE LATEST ON THIS DEVELOPING STORY WEDNESDAY AT 11 P.M., WITH CONTINUING COVERAGE ON SUBSEQUENT NEWSCASTS.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.