November 26, 2015
The government will seek dismissal of the lawsuit that blocked plans for a non-nuclear explosion that would have sent a mushroom-shaped dust cloud high over the Nevada desert.
That's what a Justice Department lawyer told a federal judge today in Las Vegas.
But a lawyer representing an American Indian tribe and "downwinders" in Utah and Nevada who sued to stop the "Divine Strake" blast says opponents fear the government will simply scale down plans and mount smaller experiments.
Federal Judge Lloyd George kept the case open -- with another conference set for April 30th.
The federal government last week canceled the 700-ton explosion at the Nevada Test Site.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.