News Briefs From Northern Nevada

Nevada State Flag
By  | 

Reno man convicted of sexual assault

A jury has convicted a 44-year-old Reno man of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a former girlfriend.

A Sept. 3 sentencing date was set for James Mack Sr., who was convicted Thursday by the Washoe District Court jury.

If a judge grants prosecutors'request to have him declared a habitual criminal, Mack would face a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole.

Mack was accused of breaking into the Sun Valley residence of his former girlfriend last Oct. 10 and abducting her.

He was convicted of sexually assaulting her in a Sparks motel room, then driving her to Oakland, Calif. He kept her there several days before returning to Reno, where she escaped and called police.

UNR Vice President qutting

Robert Bruce, head of the University of Nevada, Reno's communications department, says he's quitting at the end of this month after one year on the job.

Bruce, who earned $130,000 a year as vice president for university relations, said he plans to pursue other interests in Oregon when his contract expires June 30.

Bruce declined to elaborate.

UNR President John Lilley said he will appoint John Trent to serve as interim director until a permanent replacement is named.

Trent, a former Reno Gazette-Journal reporter, now is the university's assistant director of communications.

Reno mans pleads guilty in shootout incident

A Reno man accused of sparking a shootout with Nevada Highway Patrol troopers over a traffic violation in December has pleaded innocent to 13 felony charges.

A Feb. 2, 2004 trial in Washoe District Court was set for Antonio Orpiada, 36, whose charges include three counts of attempted murder and six counts of resisting an officer.

He's accused of refusing to pull over after running a red light, then opening fire at three NHP vehicles that circled his car at the Fourth Street exit of Interstate 80 in Reno.

Troopers returned fire and he surrendered. Although nearly 60 rounds were fired during the Dec. 16 exchange, no officers were injured. Orpiada escaped with minor injuries.