Nevada casinos won $745 million from gamblers in April for a nearly seven percent decline, the result of a tourism slump caused in part by the Iraq war.
The decline reported by the state Gaming Control Board was the first after eight straight months of increases for the clubs. A breakdown of the statewide average showed declines in every major market around the state.
The Gaming Control Board's Frank Streshley said the start of a tourism slowdown began following the March 17 start of the U-S-led war against Iraq, and increased in April. He also says poor weather affected northern Nevada, and the Easter holiday - always a slow period for casinos - hit in April.
Streshley also said the percentage fees based on the win are now down $38 million so far this fiscal year from the amount that had been forecast. The percentage take collection for the year now totals about $510 million.
- STATEWIDE: $744.6 million win, down 6.9 percent.
- LAS VEGAS STRIP: $361.2 million, down 5.3 percent.
- DOWNTOWN LAS VEGAS: $51.8 million, down 8.5 percent.
- NORTH LAS VEGAS: $17.1 million, down 7.5 percent.
- LAUGHLIN: $46.3 million, down 3.4 percent.
- BOULDER STRIP: $57 million, down 5.4 percent.
- RENO: $58.1 million, down 9.6 percent.
- SPARKS: $12 million, down 13 percent.
- NORTH TAHOE: $1.9 million, down 26.2 percent.
- SATELINE: $22.2 million, down 20.3 percent.
- ELKO COUNTY: $17.7 million, down 9 percent.
- CHURCHILL: $1.5 million, up 14.1 percent.
(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)