September 16, 2014
A Sparks chemical company and the federal government have reached a settlement over a toxic spill that sent 17 people to the hospital back in May.
Sierra Chemical was originally fined $900 by OSHA. News Channel 8 has learned the company has settled for $540.
The spill happened on May 8th in the swimming pool area of the Northeast Community Center in Reno.
Sierra Chemical says its driver accidentally mixed tubing from two pool-cleaning chemicals, releasing a chlorine gas in the air.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.