November 23, 2014
RENO, Nev. (AP) - Reno officials say as many as 35 firefighters may lose their jobs because of the loss of federal grant money.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports the Federal Emergency Management Administration notified the city Monday that its grant application was rejected.
Since last year, the city had relied on a $14 million SAFER grant to fund 64 positions. The money had prevented mass layoffs after the deconsolidation of the Reno and Washoe County fire departments.
City Manager Andrew Clinger says the rejection is disappointing. But he says the city has known grant renewal was uncertain and has been taking steps to plan for it.
In an email to city employees, Fire Chief Michael Hernandez says layoff notices will be sent May, with terminations to take effect July 1.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.