Reno, NV (KOLO) -- Washoe County residents are being targeted by scammers and authorities are concerned with warmer temperatures on the way the crimes may continue.
Door-to-door victims have increased in the last week according to the Washoe County Sheriff's Office. People knocking on doors have included fictitious repair people to magazine subscription sales members.
WCSO is investigating multiple reports of illegal solicitors and reminds all area residents to be careful and aware before opening their doors.
Here are some guidelines on how to help protect you and your family from illegal solicitors and scammers:
• If you don’t know the person, don’t open the door. Never feel obligated to greet an unfamiliar person knocking at your door.
• Always keep doors and windows locked. Storm doors or security doors are helpful when dealing with solicitors, because you can see and speak safely through the door. Use extreme caution before allowing an unfamiliar person into your home.
• Solicitors must have a business license and permit. Call your local law enforcement agency if a solicitor is aggressively attempting to get into your home or refusing to show their license/permit.
• If you are not interested, simply close the door and lock it. You don’t owe the person an explanation.
• Don’t expect all perpetrators of door-to-door sales scams to look the part. Some are clean and well-dressed and use special psychological techniques to try to get into your home or get your money.
• Always use extreme caution before providing any personal or financial information.
• Take a look around the front of your home to see what is visible from the street. If you can see your valuable items through the front windows, so can potential burglars.
• Residents can put a “no solicitors” sign on their door to help keep solicitors away.
• If you observe suspicious activity, notify your local law enforcement immediately.
WCSO urges anyone who feels they have been a victim to contact its office at 328-3001 or go to washoesheriff.com to file a report and to learn how to avoid becoming a victim.