School Shooting Suspect Stays in Custody

By: Staff
By: Staff

The 14-year-old accused of wounding two classmates in a middle school shooting incident last week will remain in custody at the juvenile detention center in Reno.
James Scott Newman appeared before Juvenile Court Master Janet
Schmuck on Monday, who agreed with the prosecution that Newman
represented a danger to society.
Newman is being held on suspicion of two counts of battery with
a deadly weapon and use of a firearm by a minor.
The eighth-grader is accused of opening fire at his middle
school on Tuesday. One boy was wounded in the arm. Another was
grazed by a bullet that ricocheted off the floor.
Deputy District Attorney JoLee Wickes told Schmuck that Newman
was a danger to the community and should be detained.
Newman's attorney, Tom Qualls, did not oppose the prosecutor's
recommendation, but asked to have the issue considered again after
the teen is evaluated by a defense-hired psychologist.
Wickes also asked the judge to order a psychological evaluation
through the division of parole and probation.
Newman is being held on suspicion of two counts of battery with
a deadly weapon and use of a firearm by a minor.
Newman initially was booked on attempted murder charges, but on
Friday, Washoe District Attorney Richard Gammick said he had
determined the evidence did not support charging Newman as an
adult.


KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2494601