RENO, Nev. (AP) - Gang violence was behind a shooting near a
Reno park that left two teenagers dead and a third clinging to
life, police said Wednesday.
The alleged shooter, Juan Marquez-DeSantiago, 21, was arrested Tuesday night and charged with two counts of open murder and battery with a deadly weapon. He was being held without bail, police said.
The violence erupted shortly after 6 p.m. Tuesday when the rival groups met near Miguel Ribera Park.
"There had been some issue in the preceding weeks," police Lt. Bob McDonald said. "They went over there to confront each other."
When officers arrived, they found Christian Humberto Barajas, 16, dead in a field west of the park. Jose Alonso Anguiano, 17, was found a block east and taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
A 15-year-old boy found in the park also was shot. He underwent
emergency surgery and remained in critical condition Wednesday,
police said. His name was not released.
McDonald said investigators recovered the suspected murder weapon, a semiautomatic handgun.
The three teens shot were involved in the initial standoff and armed with bats, investigators said.
Hundreds of people, including youth soccer teams, were at Miguel Ribera Park when the gunshots rang out.
"There was certainly pandemonium trying to get things settled down," McDonald said.
Officers with the Regional Gang Unit said increased patrols were planned in the southeast Reno neighborhood.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)