August 27, 2014
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Gov. Jim Gibbons has ended efforts to force three doctors off the Nevada Board of Medical Examiners because of their ties to the owner of a Las Vegas clinic where
flawed medical procedures set off a regional health scare.
Gibbons also is no longer pressing for the resignation of Tony Clark, the board's executive director, although a spokesman says he still thinks Clark should go. Clark answers to the board rather than the governor.
Gibbons press secretary Ben Kieckhefer said the governor now plans to appoint three temporary board members able to step in as the panel deals with matters involving the clinic linked to a hepatitis C outbreak.
That's what the board had suggested, although Gibbons had rejected the suggestion previously and had insisted that Drs. Javaid Anwar, S. Daniel McBride and Sohail Anjum step down. He even threatened a legal move to have them removed if they didn't "do what is right" and resign.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)