Another winter storm is snarling traffic in the Sierra and western Nevada with gusting winds, blowing snow and icy roads.
Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Scott Simon says numerous spinouts
and crashes were reported through the region.
The National Weather Service says 4 to 6 inches of is anticipated around Lake Tahoe, with up to a foot above 7,000 feet.
Chains or snow tires are required on all mountain passes, including Interstate 80 over Donner Summit and U.S. 50 over Echo Summit.
Over the weekend, a potent series of storms dumped as much as 11
feet in the mountains.
In the Reno-Carson City area, blowing snow turned already slick roadways into ice rinks, sending vehicles skidding out of control.
White out conditions persisted for much of the day on U.S. 395 in Washoe Valley, and Simon said the hazardous conditions led to numerous accidents and vehicles off the road.
To ease the danger, troopers escorted traffic across the 10-miles stretch at slow speeds.
Campers and trailers are prohibited from driving through Washoe Valley this morning due to high winds.
- Trooper Simon is currently stationed in Washoe Valley and says there is 30ft visibility at present. He is helping escort people through the white out.
- 3:29pm: There are several slide outs on US 395, Parr Blvd North to Stead Blvd. Now Clear
- 12:33pm: Simon said, that there have been at least 24 accidents in Washoe Valley.
- 1:15pm: Accident at East Lake involving 4 cars has just occured, NHP is on route to the scene. No injuries reported at present. Now Clear
- 11:07am: John Tyson who is also in Washoe Valley reports that there is another semi roll-over in Washoe Valley. Now Clear
- Heavy winds are expected through the Valley until 6:30pm Tuesday evening.
- 10:44am:A traffic accident on US 395 at Johnson Lane has left one person with minor injuries who has now been transported by care flight to Renown. Now Clear
- 11:02am: Northbound is still blocked at this time. Now Clear
- 12:04pm:There is also a four car accident on Southbound 395 near Stead, this is also causing delays, no injuries. Now Clear
- 10:16amHighway 395 Southbound Exit 57b is now open again after a 3 car accident occured earlier this morning. Now Clear
- There have also been several slide off's.
- 11:09am:At Sheckler CuttOff, near Fallon, there has been a semi that has rolled over. The driver was transported to Renown by care flight with moderate injuries. Now Clear However, crews are still working to restore power to downed lines.
- 12:22pm:Traffic is still flowing around crash scene, but NHP have the road still restricted down to one lane. Now Clear
- 10:50am:Power lines are also down, blocking the road on US 95a. Now Clear
- Drivers say the snow is blowing, making for low visibility, and that there is a sheet of ice under the snow.
- NHP Trooper Scott Simon, advises that there could be major hold ups due to a number of accidents in the area.
If you have any traffic reports to add to these updates, please feel free to call Stewart on: 858-8880 or e-mail.