August 30, 2015
The new guidelines include:
* Half of all grains consumed should be whole grains, at least three servings per day.
* Less than 10 percent of calories should come from saturated fats, and fat should make up no more than 25 to 30 percent of total calories. No firm guideline was set for trans fats, only a recommendation to keep them "as low as possible."
* Whole foods are generally preferred over processed: fresh fruit, for example, rather than juice.
* Protein sources should be lean and low-fat.
* Foods should be fiber-rich and contain "little added sugars or caloric sweeteners."
* Recommended daily sodium intake was lowered to 2,300 mg or less, about one teaspoon of salt.
* Everyone should get a minimum of 30 to 60 minutes each day of moderate exercise -- brisk walking or bicycling, for example.
* Losing weight will require 60 to 90 minutes of more intense daily exercise.