LAS VEGAS (AP) - Investigators hope the arrest of a suspect in Denver will lead to the capture of a second fugitive wanted in connection with the shooting of six people as they got off a bus in Las Vegas, officers said Thursday.
Nicco Tatum, 18, was arrested late Wednesday as he got off a Greyhound bus from Las Vegas, after federal marshals here received a tip that he was traveling, Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said.
Tatum did not resist Denver SWAT officers and members of state and local fugitive apprehension units who made the arrest as he was transferring to a Chicago-bound bus, Jackson said.
"Now he is in jail and we'll be looking to get him back to Las Vegas," Jackson said. Greyhound officials did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
Tatum was being held in the Denver city Jail pending transfer to Las Vegas, where police Capt. Kirk Primas said he would face six counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon and six counts of battery with a deadly weapon.
The search for a second shooter was a top priority for Las Vegas police, spokesmen said.
Officer Bill Cassell said investigators believe the Tuesday afternoon shooting grew from a fight Tuesday morning that led to the arrest of three students at Mojave High School.
"There was absolutely no indication that the altercation earlier in the day or the shooting were gang- or racially motivated. It appears it was a fight over a girl," said Cassell, who added that police were investigating reports of a fight Monday at the bus stop.
Cassell said Tatum's photo would not immediately be made public due to the continuing investigation.
Clark County School District Lt. Ken Young said Thursday he did not immediately know if Tatum was a student at Mojave, a racially mixed campus with about 2,200 students in a working-class neighborhood of North Las Vegas.
Young said campus and city police planned another day of high-visibility patrols on and around campuses in the nation's fifth-largest school district, which has more than 300,000 students at 341 campuses.
Two of the six people wounded at the bus stop a few miles from Mojave High School were seriously injured, and at least one teen remained hospitalized Wednesday.
Alejandro Rios, 18, who was shot in the torso, was upgraded late Wednesday from critical to serious condition, University Medical Center spokeswoman Cheryl Persinger said. She did not immediately return a telephone call Thursday.
She said Wednesday that no further updates would be provided about a 17-year-old male who was listed in serious condition late Tuesday. He asked that his information be kept private, Persinger said.
A 21-year-old man and three other teens were treated for less severe wounds and released soon after the shooting, authorities said.
Associated Press Writer Dan Elliott in Denver contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)