Personnel from NHP stayed busy overnight and into the morning hours throughout northern Nevada with a number of calls for service.
From 10:00am through to 2pm, troopers responded to the following calls:
Motorist Assists: 17
Slide offs: 7 (6 of those were on the Mt Rose Highway)
Accidents: 16 (13 were in the Reno area, 2 in Carson and 1 in Churchill County)
Most of these calls were in the Reno-Sparks-Carson City area, and I don’t have a better breakdown of where in Northern Command they actually occurred.
Some safety tips:
1) Travel slower when the roads are wet, snow covered, icy, etc…
2) Limit distractions such as cell phones, eating, etc and keep both hand on the steering wheel.
3) Pay attention at all times when driving.
4) Buckle up.
5) Be sure to remove all snow and ice from the windshield, side windows, rear window, rear lights and license plate.
6) Be sure your fuel tank is at least ¼ full at all times.
7) Call 511 or log onto nevadadot.com and click on the 511 icon for up to date road and weather conditions.
8) Tow truck requests are averaging up to 90 minutes this morning due to the high volume of calls.
9) If you don’t have to drive anywhere, stay home or defer your travel plans when the weather and roads improve.