Smoke Shuts Down Nevada High Court

The Nevada Supreme Court building remained shut down on Monday, following a malfunction that heated up an elevator hydraulic system and spread smoke, soot and oily vapors around the building on the weekend.

Court spokesman Bill Gang said about 110 people who normally work in the building during the week were off Monday and were expected to return to their jobs on Tuesday.

Gang said there was no fire and no damage to any court documents.

He said a clerk in the building on Saturday noticed a burning-rubber smell and called the local fire department.

Cleanup crews worked on Sunday and Monday to get rid of the smoke and soot.

Some walls had to be washed to clean off an oily residue.

While the malfunctioning elevator was out of order, two other elevators remained in service.