The Silent Killer

By: Kara Tsuboi
By: Kara Tsuboi

Yesterday morning, Reno police responded to a 911 call from relatives...and when they arrived, unfortunately, she was already dead. Police have determined the cause of the poison leak was a water heater, located right next to the victim's bedroom. They say water damage to the floor put the appliance on an unsafe tilt...causing problems with the ventilation. The same problem--and threat of danger--can also occur with your furnace and oven.

"If there's any obstructions in the vents or anything like that--there could be bird nests or anything like that that could have happened over the summer or spring, then you won't know you have a problem, especially with your heating system, until the wintertime and it gets cold and you turn it on," says Michael Keife, the President of Paul's Plumbing and Heating. He recommends yearly or bi-yearly service check ups from a trained technician. Services range from a visual inspection and a check for blockages to a more complex removal of the appliance to ensure proper working order.

Carbon monoxide detectors--found in most hardware stores--are also inexpensive ways to keep your family safe. When they detect signs of the poisoness gas, they emit a loud warning alarm.

\Carbon monoxide basically starves the body of oxygen. If you've been poisoned, you might feel symptoms similar to the flu: dizziness, nausea and sleepiness.

According to Sierra Pacific, you want to take the following steps:>
Get the victim into fresh air immediately and call 911 to request medical attention. If the victim is unconscious and not breathing, give mouth-to mouth resuscitation until help arrives. Open doors and windows to ventilate the house.


KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 1170371