September 17, 2014
A fire started in Washoe Valley home early this morning from a faulty furnace in the basement.
The Fire Department says your furnace should be inspected every year to make sure the thermostat and flue are both working properly and not leaking poisons.
"The way the furnace works is it draws air from the house and runs it through a chamber, it's called a heat exchange. The fire is underneath or around that chamber. If you get a crack in that chamber, it'll pump carbon monoxide back into the house," says Chief Larry Farr of the Reno Fire Department
Chief Farr recommends people buy inexpensive carbon monoxide detectors to protect you and your family from potentially deadly poisoning.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.