Suspect in 1979 Child Rape Found in Carson City

62-Year-Old Wilbur Ventling's picture from a government Web site.

A convicted sex offender, suspected in the rape of a 9-year-old girl in 1979, has been arrested in Carson City.

Wilbur Ventling was a convicted sex offender in Colorado.
But authorities say he was wanted because he's also a suspect in the rape of child in Canada -- the case is from 1979. Twenty-eight years after the alleged crime, he's now been arrested.

"I identified myself I told him he was under arrest and he said: 'what for?,' and I told him for being a fugitive from Canada and after that he went almost completely quiet," George Schroeder of the US Marshal's Service said.

The US Marshals Service says Wilbur Ventling wasn't saying much, but wanted a lawyer when he taken into custody Tuesday. Authorities say he'd been living at a home on August Drive in Carson City. According to federal officials say he's suspected of raping a 9-year-old girl in 1979 -- And in 10 similar offenses. They say he twice escaped from mental health facilities.

"He escaped from Colorado under the name Ventling and when he went up to Canada he assumed the name of Stewart and escaped utilizing that name," Schroeder said.

In 1979 Ventling was arrested in Las Vegas on charges of kidnapping, lewdness with with a minor under 14 and attempted sexual assault.
He was serving a 40 year sentence, but a successful appeal meant he was out of jail in 1997.
He ended up living in Nevada as a registered sex offender with a list of aliase.
When the 1979 rape case was recently re-opened and Ventling's DNA profile matched a sample from the crime scene, authorities knew just where to find him.

"It's a very satisfying feeling to know that he's off the street and that he's gonna be going back up to Canada to go ahead and face what he did 28 years ago," Schroeder said.

A hearing will be held to determine if 62-year-old Ventling will be extradited -- it's set for December.

Ventling is now at the Washoe County Jail and is expected to remain there the next two months, according to the US Marshals.