September 2, 2014
LONDON (AP) - Elton John is recovering after an operation to remove his appendix.
The musician's publicist says John had the surgery last week at Princess Grace Hospital in Monaco, near his home in the south of France.
Last month the musician canceled a series of shows as he was treated for an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.
He said at the time that his infected appendix had been "a ticking time bomb."
He was treated with antibiotics and his publicist said Monday the appendix has been removed.
In a statement on his official website last week, John said the many get-well cards and messages he'd received from fans "have touched me deeply."
The 66-year-old musician is expected to perform in London Sept. 2, when he receives the Brits Icon Award.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.