Theater forced to cancel shows after actress hit by bus

By  | 

SPARKS, Nev. (KOLO) The final weekend of shows for the Restless Artists Theatre's production of "Out of Sterno" has been canceled. One of the cast's leading actresses was hit by a bus while crossing the street November 7.

Doug Mishler, managing director at the theatre, said he knew they were going to have to close the show.

"I was stunned. It took me a while to even think about what not only happens to the show, but to her," Mishler said.

Mishler said the theater would lose about $1,000 in production costs in addition to losing the revenue from ticket sales. He said they are refunding those who had already purchased tickets.

"There's a lot of financial costs and emotional costs," Mishler said. "This is tough."

Despite the setback, Mishler said he is optimistic moving forward.

"We're optimistic about where we're going," he said. "We believe in the theater."

An unexpected donation from an anonymous donor has donated a check for $1,000 to help alleviate some of the costs. A letter was delivered to KOLO 8 News Now requesting that the news team deliver the money to the theater company.

Mishler was surprised by the donation and said it was a big help to them during this difficult time.