Suspect's name released in fatal shooting involving Sheriff's deputy

By  | 
View Map

SPANISH SPRINGS, Nev. (KOLO) - The Reno Police Department has identified the man shot and killed by a Washoe County Sheriff's deputy in Spanish Springs.

Watch Sheriff Chuck Allen at the scene of the shooting.

The incident took place shortly after 9:30AM August 4, 2017 near Pyramid Highway and Calle De La Plata, which was closed at Pyramid much of Friday.

Police say the deputy was called to a report of a person down in a vehicle at Echaniz and Calle De La Plata. The deputy made contact with the man, identified as 35-year-old Cory Stephens. REMSA arrived and medically cleared Stephens as the deputy investigated the incident. During the course of the investigation it was discovered Stephens possibly had two outstanding warrants for his arrest. Police say Stephens had provided a fictitious name to the deputy, so circumstances surrounding these warrants were initially unclear.

The deputy proceeded to try to handcuff Stephens; however investigators say Stephens was uncooperative and moved away from the deputy before being handcuffed. The deputy placed Stephens at taser-point and issued repeated commands. Police say Stephens dismissed the commands and assumed an aggressive stance toward the deputy. The deputy deployed his taser, causing Stephens to fall to the ground. While on the ground, Stephens was able to remove one of the taser probes, making the taser ineffective. The deputy attempted to physically detain Stephens on the ground. During the struggle, police say Stephens removed the deputy’s radio from his duty belt and battered the deputy multiple times on his head with the radio.

The two then separated and the deputy placed Stephens at gunpoint and began to give him verbal commands. Investigators say Stephens continued to ignore the deputy’s commands and moved toward the deputy’s patrol vehicle, which had the keys in the ignition and contained loaded firearms. Stephens opened the driver’s side door of the patrol vehicle and reached near the center console area where a loaded shotgun was stored. The deputy fired several shots and Stephens was pronounced dead on scene.

Further investigation confirmed Stephens had two outstanding arrest warrants. Additionally, the vehicle Stephens was driving had been reported stolen out of Fallon and the plates on the vehicle were reported stolen out of Sparks. Toxicology results are pending from the Washoe County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Stephens did not reside in the area and it is unknown at this time why he was in the area.

The deputy received minor injuries during the incident. He has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Per officer-involved shooting protocol, another agency, in this case the Reno Police Department, is leading the investigation into the shooting.

Photo courtesy WCSO