RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - In light of recent reports of women or women with children being followed by suspicious men, the Reno Police Department on Thursday released these tips:
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Trust your instincts. If you don’t feel safe, find ways to make it safer or leave.
- Have your cell phone with you.
- Keep your children close to you in public.
- Educate your children about stranger danger.
- If you believe somebody may be following you on foot, move to a public area and contact police with any overtly suspicious activity. If you believe someone may be following your vehicle, vary your route and driving pattern in an attempt to avoid the vehicle. If the vehicle persists in following you, drive to a safe destination such as a police department or the fire department and call police.
Most of the incidents happened in parking lots of large retail stores, police said. The suspicious men appeared to wear an earpiece as if they were coordinating with others in the area.
“Investigators have not definitively linked all of these instances,” police said in a statement. “Despite the suspicious behavior, no crimes have been identified at this point.”
People with information about the incidents can call Reno police at 775-334-2444 or Secret Witness at 775-323-4900 or go to www.secretwitness.com.