CARSON CITY, Nev. (KOLO) - Bail remains at $250,000 for the suspect in the death of a Carson City toddler, though he still has not been charged in her death.
Eric Buhl, right, 26, a suspect in the death of 2 year old Coahuyana Hernandez, left. Carson City Sheriff's Office photographs.
26-year-old Eric Buhl made his first court appearance March 22, 2017. He was read his charges and asked if he understood them. He responded yes.
The Carson City Sheriff's Office named Buhl as a suspect in the death of two-year-old Coahuyana Hernandez, but so far, his charges are Felony Possession of an Explosive Device and Child Endangerment.
Carson City Sheriff's deputies and paramedics first responded to the 100 block of Manzanita Terrace in north Carson City March 17, 2017 on the report of an unresponsive child who had fallen. When they arrived, Sheriff Ken Furlong says the toddler was being administered CPR by Buhl, whose girlfriend is a relative of the girl's. Sheriff Ken Furlong says the exact relationship is not clear. Crews treated the girl and took her to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
During the search of the home, detectives found a pipe bomb in Buhl's bedroom. When he was confronted about it, he told the detectives the bomb was live. The Tahoe Douglas Bomb Squad was dispatched to the area to deactivate the explosive in the early morning hours Saturday, and the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is also investigating it.
Buhl was taken into custody with bail first set at $5,000. It was increased over the weekend under the belief that additional charges would be added.
The investigation into the death of Hernandez is ongoing. Autopsy results have not been released.
Hernandez had been living with her relative because her mother was in an accident that made her unable to care for the child for the time being. It's not clear where the girl's father is.