RENO, Nev. (KOLO) -
The Nevada Air National Guard recognized the service and dedication of members of the 152nd Airlift Wing Sunday morning during its annual award ceremony at the base.
The ceremony recognizes the top airman, noncommissioned officer, senior noncommissioned officer, company grade officer and first sergeant in the state. The Governor’s Outstanding Unit Award for exceptionally meritorious service was also presented.
It also recognized community partners.
The winners will be announced Jan. 6 during the annual Outstanding Airman of the Year Banquet at the Eldorado Resort Casino. Nominated were:
- Airmen of the Year nominations: Senior Airman Makaila Erdody, Senior Airman Cody Beattie, Senior Airman Andrew Marshall and Airman 1st Class Matthew Griner.
- Non-Commissioned Officers of the Year:Tech. Sgt. Casey Jones, Tech. Sgt. Joshua Johnson, Staff Sgt. Alex Howe and Staff Sgt. Jerami Esquer.
- Senior non-Commissioned Officers of the Year: Master Sgt. Paul Hinen, Senior Master Sgt. Jeffrey Linton Master Sgt. Wayne Bejosano and Master Sgt. Jordan Clark.
- Company Grade Officers of the Year: Capt. Sarah Searles, Capt. Merridy Young, Capt. Reed Kobernik and Capt. Alex Rodriguez.
- Safety Award Winner: Senior Master Sgt. Steven Ferrell, 192nd Airlift Squadron
- Unit Career Advisor of the Year: Tech. Sgt. David Colburn, the 152nd Communications Flight
- Diversity Award: Senior Master Sgt. Jonathon Baker, Nevada State Headquarters
- Chief’s Council Award: Senior Airman Mariah Connell, 152nd Maintenance Squadron
Adjutant General’s Silver Sentinel Award for Excellence recipients:
- The 152nd Joint Incident Site Communications Capability Team (JISCC) (accepted by Technical Sergeant David Colburn, Technical Sergeant Dan McMillan, Technical Sergeant Jesse Lemos, Staff Sergeant Nicholas De La Rosa, Staff Sergeant Amber Kochalka, Senior Airman Ty Reid, Senior Airman Eduardo Vargas Vazquez, and Senior Airman David Almada)
- Technical Sergeant Drew Peterson, 152nd Operations Group
- The 92nd Civil Support Team (accepted by Captain Geraldine Reyes, First Sergeant Fred Bartalomy, Sergeant William Fredrick, and Senior Airman Todd Alba)
Commander’s Excellence Awards:
- Nevada Air National Guard State Headquarters: Military Personnel Management Office
- 152nd Airlift Wing: Master Sgt. Sherri Clark
- 152nd Maintenance Group: Senior Airman Andrew Marshall
- 152nd Mission Support Group: The 152nd Security Forces Squadron
- 152nd Medical Group: Lt. Erica Morga
- 152nd Operations Group: Senior Master Sgt. Todd Houchens
- 152nd Intelligence Squadron: 152nd Intelligence Squadron’s System Flight (accepted by Senior Airman Tyler Casey, Staff Sgt. Zach Sexton, Staff Sgt. Jesse Mainzer and Staff Sgt. Jesse Wigginton)
- 232nd Operations Squadron: The Mission Support Team (Master Sgt. Anna Lansdell accepted).
The 152nd Operations Group, Nevada Air National Guard, took the prestigious Outstanding Unit Award. The group completed 1,335 combat flying missions around the world and gained 46 Air Medals.
“These missions were flown in the face of significant hazards to include robust enemy surface to air missile and artillery threats, extreme mountainous terrain and austere condition,” said Senior Master Sgt. Jeannie Beck.
The 152nd Operations Group delivered thousands of combat troops and aeromedical evacuees, as well as 5,224 tons of cargo equipment and supplies across vast areas of responsibility. Additionally, the 152nd Operations Group’s Modular Airborne Firefighting System team, known as MAFFS, flew 49 sorties over wildland fires in support of the U.S. Forest Service this year. The group also supported transportation efforts during hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria.
Along with the awards, the 152nd Intelligence Squadron announced its honorary commander, Roger Norman, a local entrepreneur and developer. Norman is the partner in the Tahoe Industrial Center and owner of the Crystal Bay Casino in Lake Tahoe.