Coney Island back open after Sparks hazmat incident

By  | 
View Map

SPARKS, Nev. (KOLO) - A cleanup crew is at the scene of a small hazardous materials incident in Sparks, and nearby businesses are no longer evacuated.

Sparks Fire was called to the business at 230 Coney Island Drive about 6AM Monday, July 17, 2017. The initial call was for a fire alarm. Firefighters found water flowing out from under the roll-up door. They also found a light haze in the building caused by a small fire near a Potasium Hydroxide drum. The fire had been extinguished by fire sprinklers.

Firefighters backed out and called for the Regional Hazardous Material Team, which evacuated businesses near the affected building as a precaution. The team also secured the scene for one block to the east and west of Coney Island drive. Businesses on the south side of Coney Island drive were not affected.

Sparks Fire Marshal Bob King tells KOLO 8 News Now a heater in a tank of hydrogen peroxide had been left on over the weekend, and the peroxide boiled down, with the heating element no longer in liquid and sparking the small fire.

Coney Island Drive has been reopened.