City of Reno looking into sex assault allegation

By  | 

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve says she wants residents to know the city takes accusations of sexual assault very seriously. She says she was informed the night of January 31, 2018 of allegations against a now former city employee, with no names or specifics given at a quickly-assembled news conference at City Hall Thursday afternoon.

She says she will be working with Reno Police and Chief Jason Soto on this matter.

Chief Soto says his number one priority is the well-being and confidentiality of the claimant. He says if the claimant or the attorney file a police report, he will work with the department's victim advocate to facilitate that confidentiality and well-being, but he is not releasing any further information.

City Attorney Karl Hall says he can confirm in November of 2017, a city employee made an allegation of sexual misconduct against a co-worker. He says it's the policy of the City Attorney's Office to investigate all such allegations, and that an independent third-party investigation was launched. He says his office urged her to file a police report if she believed she had been the victim of a crime.

Reno City Manager Sabra Smith Newby says the city is committed to providing its employees with a safe and professional environment.