UPDATE: Official says California rejects some border tasks

Photo: U.S. CBP
By  | 

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Latest on President Donald Trump's plan to send up to 4,000 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to combat illegal immigration and drug trafficking (all times local):

1:45 p.m.

Acting U.S. Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner Ronald D. Vitiello says California's governor has determined that some tasks federal officials want the state's National Guard to perform at the U.S.-Mexico border are "unsupportable."

Vitiello made the comments to reporters in Washington Monday after two U.S. officials told The Associated Press said terms of the federal government's initial plans for sending National Guard troops to the border because the work is considered too closely tied to immigration.

California Gov. Jerry Brown has pledged 400 troops to the effort by Trump to send up to 4,000 troops to the border.

Vitiello says officials wanted 237 for service in two areas of California with "a set of mission responsibility there that California National Guard has indicated they will not perform."

He added that talks are ongoing.

___

11 a.m.

Two U.S. officials say California has rejected the federal government's initial plans to send the state's National Guard troops to the border because the work is considered too closely tied to immigration enforcement.

California told federal officials late last week it will not allow its troops to fix and repair vehicles, operate remotely-controlled surveillance cameras and perform other tasks under a Trump plan to send troops to the border.

Two U.S. officials discussed the status of ongoing negotiations on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.

California Gov. Jerry Brown elicited rare and effusive praise from President Donald Trump when he pledged last 400 troops to border mission last week.

But the Democratic leader conditioned his support on troops having nothing to do with immigration enforcement.