CARSON CITY, Nev. (KOLO) - Nevada Volunteers, Governor Sandoval’s Commission on Service, is accepting nominations for the 2018 Governor’s Points of Light Awards.
The Governor’s Points of Light Awards celebrate the extraordinary volunteer efforts of Nevadans and is the highest volunteer honor bestowed by Nevada Volunteers and the State. Nominations will be accepted through May 31 for extraordinary volunteers, volunteer managers, and volunteer programs. Three finalists from each category, selected by a panel of judges, will be recognized at the Governor’s Points of Light Awards Ceremony this fall in Las Vegas.
Nomination categories are:
• Northern Nevada Individual Volunteer
• Southern Nevada Individual Volunteer
• Rural Nevada Individual Volunteer
• Youth (Under 21) Individual Volunteer
• Nonprofit or Community Organization Volunteer Program
• Corporate or Business Volunteer Program
• Volunteer Manager
“The Governor’s Points of Light Awards showcases how in every corner of our state people are coming together to help others and improve our communities. I hope you will join me in recognizing the countless individuals and organizations serving Nevada by submitting a nomination in May for the Governor’s Points of Light Awards.” says Governor Brian Sandoval
Nomination criteria include individuals and organizations in Nevada who through volunteerism:
1) Show achievement that is exemplary, far exceeds expectations, and is measurable.
2) Address a need not previously met in the community.
3) Demonstrate innovation by applying a new solution to an existing social program.
4) Exemplify mobilization by empowering the community to support the program or event as demonstrated by the quantity or quality of volunteers.
5) Show endurance or sustainability by developing a long-term solution to significant social issues through hands-on volunteer service. The service must be direct and ongoing, rather than a one-time activity, except for short-term crisis situations.
Nominations are due prior to 11:59 P.M. PST May 31 and can be submitted at nevadavolunteers.org.
People submitting nominations should be aware that finalists are required to attend the Governor’s Points of Light Award Ceremony. Organizations and individuals being nominated should notify Nevada Volunteers if travel assistance is requested.