RENO, NV – Veterans Guest House, winner of $25,000 from The Home Depot in The Home Depot Foundation’s year-long Facebook voting program called Aprons in Action, will compete against 10 other monthly winners for $250,000 in the final round of the contest.
Voting runs through March 31 at www.facebook.com/homedepotfoundation.
The organization with the most votes at the end of the month will win the $250,000 grand prize. Organizations with the second and third most votes will receive $150,000 and $100,000 from The Home Depot Foundation, respectively.
During the Aprons in Action Contest, which began in April 2011, The Home Depot Foundation’s Facebook fans have already helped 11 nonprofit organizations win $25,000 each to better their communities. In the March 2012 round of the competition, the Veterans Guest House is competing against 10 other monthly winners from across the country. Competing finalists include:
· April 2011: Great Falls Children's Receiving Home (Great Falls, MT)
· May 2011: Ronald McDonald House of Detroit (Detroit, MI)
· June 2011: Jerusalem House (Atlanta, GA)
· July 2011: New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity (New Orleans, LA)
· August 2011: Northwest Hospital Fdn. (Seattle, WA)
· September 2011: Taylor VFW Post #4422 (Taylor, MI)
· October 2011: Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans (Wheaton, IL)
· November 2011: Utah State Veterans Home (Salt Lake City, UT)· December 2011: Lifebuilders of Detroit (Detroit, MI)
· January 2012: Jewish Family Service (West Bloomfield, MI)
· February 2012: Veterans Guest House (Reno, NV) “Winning $25,000 from The Home Depot during the first round of Aprons in Action was such an honor, and we are so thankful for the recognition and the support from our community,” said Noreen Leary, Chief Operating Officer of Veterans Guest House.
“If we actually win the grand prize of $250,000, it would allow our organization to immediately establish a building fund and proceed with planning to meet the growing needs of our veterans and their families into the future. So we encourage everyone to go to Facebook and vote for us!”
Working together, the Veterans Guest House and Team Depot volunteers have already made a significant impact on the newest expansion with the addition of kitchen cabinets, appliances, new doors, bathroom fixtures and the help of Team Depot volunteers to install those items.
Across the country, The Home Depot Associates give back to their communities by volunteering their time and talents with local nonprofit organizations, like the Veterans Guest House. The Aprons in Action Program recognizes these successful partnerships and gives each of the featured nonprofits the opportunity to do additional work with Team Depot volunteers to better their communities.
“Aprons in Action is our $1 million effort to support the most active and engaged nonprofit organizations across the country,” said Kelly Caffarelli, president of The Home Depot Foundation.
“Through Aprons in Action, we have already distributed $500,000 to 44 deserving organizations from across the nationwide Team Depot network, allowing them to continue their great work serving our communities.”
How To Vote Voting runs from March 1 at 6:00 a.m. PST through March 31 at 9 a.m. PST. Aprons in Action is on Facebook at www.facebook.com/homedepot or www.facebook.com/homedepotfoundation.
The final percentages of votes for each nonprofit will be posted on The Home Depot and The Home Depot Foundation’s Facebook pages.
For more information and to view the program rules, visit The Home Depot on Facebook or go to www.homedepotfoundation.org.