Join in the Race for the Cure

By: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Email
By: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Email

RENO, NV - The annual effort by thousands of runners and walkers to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight breast cancer is underway in Northern Nevada.

Registration for the Oct. 2 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure at Boomtown Casino & Hotel in Reno, Nev. is now open, kicking off fundraising by the 4,500 people who run or walk either a 5K or 1-mile course. The race is the largest fundraiser for the Northern Nevada Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

This year the Northern Nevada arm of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure has granted out $375,000 to fund education, screening and treatment of breast cancer. The majority of that funding was raised at last year’s Race for the Cure.

“Each year, thousands of women’s lives are changed because of this race. Cancer is caught earlier, treatment is improved, and financial support is given to turn cancer patients into survivors,” said Lucy McGuire, president of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Northern Nevada Affiliate.

75 percent of all net funds raised at Susan G. Komen for the Cure Northern Nevada is granted to lifesaving local breast cancer programs while the remaining 25 percent goes to Komen-funded groundbreaking research to find the cures.
But more than a simple fundraiser, the Race for the Cure is a chance for cancer survivors to support each other, family members to remember a loved one, and for the community to rally around those fighting the disease.

“You can talk about the emotion but until you see it — the survivors with their pink balloons with the number of years they have survived written on them — it is overwhelming,” said McGuire. “You realize that you are there for a reason — and that reason is to find a cure.”

Online registration and more information is available now at In-person registration is available at Boomtown Casino & Hotel, beginning on Thursday, September 29 at 11 a.m. Race events begin at 8:15 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 2.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLO-TV 4850 Ampere Drive Reno, NV 89502
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129139738 -
Gray Television, Inc.