When we began designing the KOLO Cares program, our objectives included creating “partnerships” with all non-profit organizations and providing a wide range of opportunities for our visitors to get involved with the community. Our overall goal is to do all we can to nurture our local non-profit community.
Volunteering in the community can be challenging. Knowing where to start and how to find the opportunities can be stressful and, at times, be unsuccessful. Like courtship or finding the right car, finding the ideal organization might involve working with a variety of organizations. At KOLO Cares, we hope to serve as a resource to finding the right one…so you can enjoy the experience right away.
Here’s our list of recommendations for you to volunteer with your ideal organization. As you read them, just remember that volunteering is a fun, exciting and rewarding way to enhance your life, the lives of others, and improve our community’s quality of life. Volunteering does not need to be stressful or a burden. Knowing this, we recommend that you:
• List your interests – what you enjoy doing and where you enjoy doing it
• List your skills – what can you offer (professional, personal, etc)
• List your personal afflictions – for example, have you or your loved ones been affected by health or social-related issues
• List the areas in our community which mean the most to you
• Project how many hours per week or month you’re willing to contribute
• List your expectations from volunteering
• Describe the type of people you wish to be around when volunteering
Now that you’ve answered these questions, use them to determine which organizations best fit your needs and interests. If you’re unable to develop a list of organizations, send an email to email@example.com and ask for a little help.
Let your KOLO Cares webpage serve as a resource toward making your volunteerism experience one you’ll enjoy…not just today, but for years to come.